Friday, October 23, 2009

A Woman's Nation?

Yesterday I was viewing the Today Show and became overwhelmingly interested due to the subject being discussed: The Role of Women. One of the anchors made the statement that we are no longer dealing with “The Battle of the Sexes” but rather, “The Battle of Negotiation.” I found this rhetoric extremely contradictorily to the main heading of the entire weekly segment being: “A Woman’s Nation.” Wouldn’t this suggest that the battle is still over the sexes? If we believe in equality, then why should the title of this special series be “A Woman’s Nation?” I would suggest that if any TV network produced a segment on “A Man’s Nation,” there would be major uproar! Yesterday’s segment also included an interview with President Obama. He pointed out that several years ago his wife asked why it was always her duty to pick up the children from school or to do the household chores. Once again, I was reminded of the world’s view of womanhood that is proclaimed and widely accepted across this “Nation under God.” The entire conclusion of yesterday’s subject was that there were “High Places” for women. These “high places” focus solely on what Betty Friedan wrote in her, Feminist Mystique, in 1963, as she suggested women would "find themselves" if they got an education and began a career. Why is the role of being a helper not seen as a “High Place” for women?

This past week I had the privilege of spending time with my two nephews and niece as they came to visit me from Tennessee. We had so much fun…playing outside…reading…watching cartoons…activities… But, I must admit I have never been so exhausted in my life!!! In this certain phase of my life, I am a single, career woman; I go into the workplace daily...I will be the first to admit…it is much easier to go to work than to stay home and take care of children. However, I can think of no higher calling and privilege for a woman to embrace! Being a helper, whether single or married is the HIGHEST PLACE that a woman could ever hope to achieve. Therein lies True Success. Although, it may not be looked at as important, there could be no greater role for a woman.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Monica,

The views you express are powerful, especially coming from a successful woman such as yourself.

Mike

7:18 PM  
Blogger Nick and Meredith said...

saw several segments last week too, wanted to throw up. Such a huge issue!!! people need guidance on God's way, His way works... miss you.

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Miranda said...

True definition of 'high place':
"If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all."
-Mark 9:35

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home